Re: Stopping a loop

2001-11-29 12:36:51
At 1:02 PM -0600 11/29/01, David W. Tamkin wrote:
Justin Shore replied to Sean Straw,

| Many thanks for the response.  I think I understand what's
| going on in these two recipes.  I like the latter one personally
| because I see if does file locking.  The first one, I'm not so sure
| on.  Does "mailbox" get locked when STDOUT is directed to it?

Yes, if stdout is *appended* to it and you have the second colon on the flag
line.

When the action is a pipe with an appending redirector (a ">>"), and you use
a second colon to request a local lockfile but you don't supply a name for
the local lockfile, procmail uses the first word after the ">>" and adds
$LOCKEXT (which is generally ".lock") to it to infer a name for the local
lockfile.

I see. I wasn't sure if procmail would pick up on the appending. Both will do what I'm looking for. I've got the 2nd one implemented at the moment though and it's working great. It's a little more my style I think. Thanks for the info

Justin

Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q
Office of Information Systems   Pittsburg, KS 66762
Voice: (620) 235-4606           Fax: (620) 235-4545
http://www.pittstate.edu/ois/

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.