Re: Cleaning up a subject line...

2002-01-14 12:49:53
At 11:35 2002-01-14 -0600, Bruce Petro wrote:

at my end because ... this mangled subject results in further messages
showing stuff like:
RE: [XP] Re: Extreme Reuse - Hazards of a reuse team

Further messages WILL show up like that reguardless of what you do to YOUR mail, since the other users responding to those posts will not be seeing modified versions of them. Your modification of the subjects will cause grief for others using the list who will see your replies to other messages showing up with slightly different subject headers. i.e. in doing this, YOU become part of the very same problem you're fighting.

# messages addressed to (or at your option, delivered by) the list
# messages with [XP] preceeding Re: tag (case insensitive)
:0
* ^TO_somelist
* ^Subject:[    ]*\/.*\[XP] Re:.*
{
        # we've taken the matched subject line and put it in $MATCH
        # now, demangle it.  Note case insensitivity flag.
        NEWSUBJ=`echo $MATCH| \
                -e 's/\Re:[     ]*Re:/Re:/i'`

        :0hf
        |formail -I "Subject: $NEWSUBJ"
}

If you want it to support forward tags, etc, you'll have to revise it yourself. Also, this doesn't deal with:

        Re[2]:

Type syntax some braindead mailers use.

Note .sig disclaimer.