Re: I don't want to have double mails in my folder

2002-01-14 12:52:11
At 15:59 2002-01-14 +0100, Manuel Hendel did say:
I've read an article in the Linux Magazine 01/2002. They describe a
way with formail:

####
:0 Wh: $PROCMAILDIR/msgid.lock
|formail -D 32768 $PROCMAILDIR/msgid.cache
/dev/null
####

but this didn't work for me for some reason.

Have you tried enabling VERBOSE logging and checking what the logfile says about it?

Do you normally use procmail, or is this the first thing you've ever tried (and if so, how do you know that procmail is even being run)?

Do the duplicates you speak of actually have identical messageids? Mailing lists can pose problems when the list rewrites the messageid (some do), or if the sending user's mail client and server don't properly add a messageid, leaving the recipient server (initially the list server, but if you get a cc, then your server as well) to generate a messageid - in these cases, the messageid cache won't do you a whit of good as the messageids will be different.

You should set up a sandbox testing environment (see some notes at the URL in my sig) and run some tests outside of your live mailstream.

If the above recipe is verbatim from the magazine, you should write in and tell them that they're purveying inaccurracies - the _delivery_ line is the pipe to formail - the /dev/null isn't, and procmail is going to see that as what _should_ be the flag line from another recipe, or as an assignment or other operation (such as an INCLUDERC), but doesn't match the criteria for those, and will emit:

procmail: Skipped "/dev/null"

to the logfile.

FTR, the very basis for the above filter has been presented in the manpage 'man procmailex' (procmail examples) for many years. The version that appears there doesn't have the extraneous /dev/null line at the end.

What is $PROCMAILDIR defined to? Is it defined at all? If it isn't, then you're trying to write your message cache to the ROOT of your filesystem.