Re: Mailbox is still getting scrambled.

2002-01-22 20:25:35
At 18:54 2002-01-22 -0700, Mark Simpson did say:
LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail

You didn't elaborate earlier - but is this ruleset in /etc/procmailrcs/ or is it your personal (within your user dir) .procmailrc ?

:0 c:$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT
/var/mail/backup

When I said to lock it, I meant to just "lock" it:

:0c:
/var/mail/backup

Ask yourself "should I really be writing my "backup" file to /var/mail rather than my own dir?" and "do I have rights to do this?"

ANYWHERE this file is written to must be locked with the SAME lockfile - $DEFAULT$LOCKEXT isn't the way to do it - that'd be a lockfile for your default mailbox name, not for this file (not that it _couldn't_ work, but it is just totally wrong to do it that way).

But wait - I didn't carefully note that your following rule was for dealing with a MAILDIR format (most folks are using mbox). In this case, remove the locking - that's only used for mbox (files which contain multiple messages).

:0 ic:$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT
| cd /var/mail/backup && rm -f dummy `ls -t msg.* | sed -e 1,100d`

:0
# #####*
^TO_(snowhosts(_at_)SunshineSnowHosts\(_dot_)com|zawada(_at_)bowfort\(_dot_)com)

[snip]

Uh, these rules send return messages to people - they don't deliver to mailboxes, so you don't need to include them in future posts unless something in a VERBOSE log indicates there is an error with them (and even that shouldn't pertain to your described problem).

:0:$DEFAULT$LOCKEXT
$DEFAULT

$DEFAULT is just that - default. No need to explicitly create a rule for it. Get rid of this one.

EXACTLY which mail file is getting hosed? Since it appears you're doing this from /etc/procmailrcs/ is there any chance that the mailbox that is being corrupted is say, the USER mailbox, and if so, is that user running

[snip! It's in my outbox, inbox, everyone elses' inbox, and the list archives already - I think we don't need to include the previous message verbatim]