Re: mailbox locking problem

2002-01-31 18:39:36
GeneralP(_dot_)Fault(_at_)gmx(_dot_)net writes:
on a linux server with postfix as the MTA and vm-pop3d
i use my .forward file to start procmail.
when i log in via POP3 to download my mails, vm-pop3d creates the file
/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME.lock

in my ~/.procmailrc i have:
LOCKFILE = /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME.lock
DEFAULT="/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME"

Unless you're doing something really strange, you don't need the LOCKFILE
assignment as a local lockfile will work instead.  Also, DEFAULT should
probably be set correctly by default, in which case setting it yourself
is a bad habit.  Does "procmail -v" show the right thing?  If yes, remove
that assignment.

and recipes like e.g.:
             :0w:
             * .*http_monitor.*
              $DEFAULT

The 'w' flag doesn't actually do anything on mailbox recipes, but it won't
cause problems.  Also, the ".*" bits in the condition are unnecessary
because the regexp isn't anchored against the line ends.  So, I would
suggest just writing that as:

        :0:
        * http_monitor
        $DEFAULT

if a matching mail arrives while /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME.lock (created by
vm-pop3d) exists, the mail simply vanishes (the postfix log shows
perfectly normally that the mail has been sent to the procmail pipe).

What are the permissions on /var/spool/mail?  Do you set LOGFILE in your
.procmailrc?  If not, put
        LOGFILE = $HOME/.procmail.log
at the top of your .procmailrc.  What the does the logfile contain when
a message arrives while a POP session is in progress?  What about if you
set VERBOSE=on right after you set LOGFILE?

Do you set any other variable in your .procmailrc that are special to
procmail, such as DELIVERED?  If so, _exactly_ what does your .procmailrc
contain?

Philip Guenther