Re: Does procmailrc affect mail in AND out of server?

2002-01-31 18:30:23
Does the procmailrc act on mail being *sent* by the SMTP program on my
server?

err... I really don't think it has this kind of functionality. Quoting from the first paragraph of www.procmail.org:

"Procmail can be used to create mail-servers, mailing lists, sort your incoming mail into separate folders/files (real convenient when subscribing to one or more mailing lists or for prioritising your mail), preprocess your mail, start any programs upon mail arrival (e.g. to generate different chimes on your workstation for different types of mail) or selectively forward certain incoming mail automatically to someone."

I'm a procmail newbie but a kind mentor helped me set up virus
filtering on my RaQ4. This is designed to stop emails with undesirable
attachments and also to stop Sircam by looking for patterns in the
body of the email. It's proved to work well for a few months.

What mail server are you running? sendmail? postfix? qmail? Look into implementing some body checks in the server and filter against some basic regular expressions (ie, don't accept files with .vbs .vbe .exe .cmd .com or .bat extensions -- for starters).

One of my users got Sircam today (God knows how, probably on a disk)
and it sent out loads of infected emails. Can procmailrc help me stop
this happening?

Procmail, too, can do basic filtering like I described above. Knock on wood, but this basic filtering has kept 100% of those nasty Outlook virii from hitting my users.

--Matt