Re: Does procmailrc affect mail in AND out of server?

2002-02-01 02:36:43
At 00:10 2002-02-01 +0000, Edward Bishop wrote:
I've tried to search for an answer to this question but I think it's
just too basic.

Does the procmailrc act on mail being *sent* by the SMTP program on my
server?

Uh, NO. If you see 'man procmail', you'd see that by setting sendmail up to have a procmail mailer (separate from Mlocal=procmail), and adding some sendmail rules, it is possible to invoke procmail via a sendmail rule (which can apply to outbound messages), but this isn't the "standard" procmail config - it requires some hacking of the sendmail.cf. Consequently, an incorrect alteration can hose ALL YOUR MAIL.

See some FAQ-type items I have at:
        <http://www.professional.org/procmail/smtp.html>

It IS possible to invoke procmail - it just requires alterations to the MTA config, and if you don't have a clue how to make those changes, when the manpages give explicit examples, then you're unlikely to find anyone here who will be willing to spend the time explaining it.

I'm a procmail newbie but a kind mentor helped me set up virus
filtering on my RaQ4. This is designed to stop emails with undesirable
attachments and also to stop Sircam by looking for patterns in the
body of the email. It's proved to work well for a few months.

A quick search of deja^H^H^H^Hgoogle for "sendmail.cf sircam" reveals a number of interesting posts. Among them:

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sircam+sendmail.cf&hl=en&selm=87zo7rvkwr.fsf%40nausicaa.interq.or.jp&rnum=4>

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=sircam+sendmail.cf&hl=en&selm=3C3D0E52.3080001%40destination.ca&rnum=1>

Web searches are interesting things if you use them...