Re: "Suspicious rcfile" with virutal domains

2002-02-07 03:42:10

Hi Matt.  :)

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:03:42AM -0500, Matt of the Long Red Hair wrote:

running into problems with the "Suspicious rcfile" error.  Here's my test
-r--r--r--  1 test  virtdom  404 Nov 18 17:26 procmailrcs/test.com

It would appear that procmail doesn't believe UID 2000 is the appropriate
owner for this rcfile.  Am I missing something here?

No, you're not missing anything, the user 'test' *is* unsafe as the
owner of a procmailrc that's run by root.

Looking at procmail(1),

       -m   Turns  procmail  into  a general purpose mail filter.
            unlimited number of arguments.  If the rcfile  is  an
            absolute  path starting with /usr/local/etc/procmail-
            rcs/ without backward  references  (i.e.  the  parent

mailertable entry:
test.com        procmail:/usr/local/etc/conundrum/procmailrcs/test.com

Your conundrum is caused by the conundrum in the directory in the
mailertable.  Wiser heads may give additional details, but this seems
pretty straightforward so far.  With the mismatched directory names,
the -m option hits one of its security checks, and fails with the
"Suspicious rcfile" error because "The owner of the rcfile was not the
recipient or root".

 Is there some way to
convince procmail that I know what I'm talking aboout? :)   If possible, I'd
like to avoid disabling this security check altogether.. knowing how procmail
determines who should own the rc file is probably all I need.

Yep.

Move /usr/local/etc/*/procmailrcs/ to /usr/local/etc/procmailrcs/*/.

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>