Re: Cannot get recipies to work properly

2002-02-10 12:30:12
|   In ~/procmail/recipes.rc, the file starts by sorting incoming mail list
| messages into the appropriate pine folder. That works just fine. But, when
| it comes to the spam filters, procmail seems to not see the messages and
| compare them to the recipes.
|
|   The recipe syntax is correct. That's been checked by me and others.
| sendmail is passing incoming mail to procmail for delivery as the mail
| list parsing works just fine. I would really appreciate some help on this
| issue for it frustrates me to keep getting spam from the same sources and
| have the recipes consistently fail to reroute them to /dev/null.

Dr. Shepard, the first three things to do are to set a logfile, to turn
VERBOSE on, and to examine the logfile when a piece of spam has evaded your
filters.  Then you'll see where, and perhaps why, procmail is doing
something different from your expectations.

Rather than building up a bulky verbose logfile for every incoming message,
if you still have a piece of spam on hand that slipped past your recipes,
you can try refeeding it to procmail from an interactive shell.  Then you
can include VERBOSE=on on procmail's command line rather than having it in
your rcfile, where it would affect every incoming message.  Some things can
transpire differently when you invoke procmail from an interactive shell
rather than having the MTA do it, so that might not lead you to the answer,
but then again it could.