Re: Cannot get recipies to work properly

2002-02-10 13:27:03
At 11:30 2002-02-10 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:

  It is by examining the log file that I determined the spam wasn't being
seen by the recipes while the mail list messages are seen.

My latent ESP skills (a side effect of being used in a guinea pig in US military biowarrior experiments), is giving me an image of something like so:

:0:
* ^Sender:.*somelistaddress
somelistfolder

:0:
* ^Sender:.*someotherlistaddress
someotherlistfolder

:0:
* somespamcharacteristic
spewtum

If you're filtering like this - lists before spam - then the lists that you match are being DELIVERED to the specified folders and PROCESSING STOPS. If you use 'c'opy flags, then the one copy is still delivered and another one continues to be processed - but that won't have the desired effect here (since it won't REMOVE the spam). 'f'ilter recipes can be useful - where you add a header to the message tagging it as being destined for some certain folder, then still subject it to other filters, but you could just as easily move the spam filters to before the list filters in that case and achieve the end result with much less work.

A more typical way to filter spam would resemble this pseudo-code:

# filter greenlist/whitelist - confirmed "ok" mail.

# filter twits (twits exist everywhere, even on clean lists)

# filter CLEAN lists - lists on which we don't have a spam problem

# filter SPAM

# filter other lists and non-list mail