Re: Trolling spamtrap addresses to use for spam filtering

2002-02-22 08:57:23
David Roll considered,

| I'm thinking that I'm not extracting maximum
| efficiency from the effort, and that if only I could drop the From:
| addresses into a file and use them to  filter messages arriving at other
| (real) accounts, I might double my value.

Bad idea.  Maybe it could work on a one-user box, but when you speak of
"messages arriving at other (real) accounts," you imply that other people
get email on your system in addition to you.

Too much spam has the real addresses of known opponents of spamming as
From:, or has the user's own address, or other such nonsense.  (A couple
days ago I got a piece of spam at my Hotmail address whose From: was my
Yahoo address!)  Suppose a user on your system gets a piece of spam that has
his/her own address in From:; your recipes identify the subject or body as
spam, cull the From: address for your blacklist, and thereafter prevent
him/her from writing to any of your other users (or even dropping a reminder
into his/her own email).

The From: address is no way to identify spammers.