Re: Newbie: Can't get procmail to run from .forward

2002-02-27 18:17:48

Professional Software Engineering
(PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org):

Sendmail isn't a hassle if you learn it. <g>

That's what they told me about amanda too. Don't get me started on
that one.... :-)

DOH! I assumed that procmail would log to the logfile I told it to
use. I didn't think to check the mail log for procmail messages. I
have this error:

 procmail[17876]: Suspicious rcfile

Heh, if procmail won't OPEN the rcfile to process it, then log commands
WITHIN that rcfile won't be paid much attention to.  That includes anything
defining the LOGFILE, etc.

Yeah, I figured that out.

It will gather some info about your configuration which can help us figure
out what is going on.  Review what is returned, then post it to this list.

You'll understand if I don't release ALL that information,

It specifically blocks out the password field from the account password
line which was extracted (in case someone is enough of a looser to still be
running a non-shadow password config).  The other bits are helpful for
determining some weirdnesses some people may have with external tools
they're using.

I was referring to host information. Not that it's really a key issue,
but I need to protect my client's privacy.

# formail and procmail information (as per versions in the current
path): 0755  1 root     root       27776 Fri Sep  3 23:21:13 1999
/usr/bin/formail formail v3.13.1 1999/04/05, Copyright (c) 1999,
Stephen R. van den Berg

Eewww.  Time to upgrade.  At a minimum 3.15.2

Not really at liberty to do that. But I'll make the recommendation.

I see the caution on the user's directory there. All user directories
are like this:

drwxrws--x   4 billing  site73       1024 Feb 27 16:50 billing

Apparently the group readable

No, group WRITEABLE.  7 = rwx, 5 = r.x

Yep. That's what I meant. Just typed the wrong word.

is causing procmail to skip the file. Somehow I didn't get this out of the
faq / docs. So I apologize if it's there.

I suggest you check 'man procmail' and search for "suspicious rcfile" (that
message you found in the syslog after I suggested you check there).  Find
anything?

"or this was the default rcfile ($HOME/.procmailrc) and either it was
group writable or the directory that contained it was group writable"

Yeah, thanks.

Anyway, changing this seems to have fixed the problem. I don't think I
could have found it without the diagnostic shell though.

That'd be why I scrawled that bugger up, to deal with these little gotchas
that people often overlook or otherwise involve 20 questions to dig up.

Thanks, again, for the quick help.

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group