Re: Newbie: Can't get procmail to run from .forward

2002-02-27 13:14:33
At 10:54 2002-02-27 -0700, Jeremy Wadsack did say:
I've gone through the FAQ and all the recommendations I can find on
the Web and can't seem to get this to work. If I put a recipe in
/etc/procmailrc it is run for all users.

Let's make this clear: ARE you successfully executing /etc/procmailrc when new mail arrives for any user, or are you merely stating that you understand that this is what will happen when you get things working, but since you want to test the recipe first, you haven't ACTUALLY successfully run anything from /etc/procmailrc? Your statement isn't particularly clear, and there's a BIG difference depending on how it is interpreted, so which is it?

I have created the following ~billing/.forward files (each is only one
line):

[snip - uhm, these aren't what are provided in the procmail manpage]

Anything with 'exec' is not allowed.

Why not? Perhaps you're running smrsh as your LDA? Unless you need to be running something else, you're better off just setting procmail up as the LDA in sendmail (which is fairly easy - esp if you're using the sendmail config.mc stuff to generate your sendmail.cf file).

I suggest that you retrieve <http://www.professional.org/procmail/procdiag.sh>
log in as this billing user, review that script (unless you trust running scripts you get from complete strangers), then run that script as per the documentation at the top of it.

It will gather some info about your configuration which can help us figure out what is going on. Review what is returned, then post it to this list.

My initial guess - your .forward file has bad permissions on it.

For that matter, if /etc/procmailrc IS actually being run okay as you say above, then procmail must already be your LDA (the script will help confirm that, BTW), and thus you DO NOT NEED A .forward FILE. Just put the .procmailrc in the user dir and set perms correctly (again, the script will attempt to discern the perms issue).

These seem to work (mail doesn't get returned) but procmail is never
run (recipes aren't executed and the logfile is never built).

Have you looked into your mailer log to see if there is anything emitted there about this? If the .forward perms are incorrect (say, anyone other than the file owner has WRITE perms), the FILE SHOULD BE COMPLETELY IGNORED, and the mail simply deposited into that users mailspool.

Anything with 'exec' is not allowed. Any command-line parameters after
procmail also are not allowed unless they are quoted. (I know
virtually nothing about Sendmail, so that may be by design.)

The accepted standard .forward invocation for procmail is located in my disclaimer page (near the bottom).