Re:A more general X-Envelope-To

2002-02-27 13:22:32
At 12:30 2002-02-27 -0500, Charlie Summers did say:
#########################
#   Format of headers   #
<snip>
HX-Envelope-From: $g
HX-Envelope-To: $u
<snip>

   For complete information, see sendmail.org. If you use a different mailer
agent, see the website for that daemon.

Agreed.

Since it comes up here though, let me point out that it is much more preferrable to make this change within the sendmail proto.m4 config file, so that each time you rebuild your sendmail.cf, it gets included (that is the only sendmail file I hack to add these two lines because these seem misleading if they're not located under the headers section and the config.mc doensn't give you the control to externally add lines at arbitrary points -- otherwise, all my sendmail config is performed through a proper config.mc file, where it belongs). It's much easier to just have a note in your config.mc that you should update the proto.m4 file when you upgrade sendmail, but otherwise, every time you tweak a sendmail config (say, adding a new RBL or tinkering with another mailer, etc), you have to fret with re-inserting these lines to the generated sendmail.cf

Preserve your config.mc, upgrade sendmail, add those two lines to proto.m4, restore your config.mc and make your sendmail.cf, perform some validation, and you're up and running with a new release of sendmail and all your original config options (including procmail as LDA, etc). Beats the living heck out of manually hacking the sendmail.cf each time you upgrade sendmail. Also makes migrating a consistent sendmail config to multiple hosts a LOT easier and far more consistent.