corrupt .mail file with Outlook ?

2002-03-07 05:56:35

Hello -

This is probably off-topic, but here goes:

I run a small server with a dozen or so mail users.
It is RHLinux 6.1, sendmail 8.9.3, procmail 3.2.1
Mail is stored to $HOME/.mail
POP3 access is via qpopper4.0
I also run the ATDot webmail package

Everything has been working fine for two years, however, I have just
created two new user mail accounts and have experienced a problem that
is new to me.

Both users are using Microsoft Outlook to send/receive mail. To the best
of my knowledge, none of my other users are.

Problem is: they were able to collect mail first time, but thereafter
could not connect to my pop3 server - incorrect username/pwd errors.
The problem actually is that the first 'From' in their .mail files
seems to mysteriously have had the leading 'F'removed.
Therefore, the mail is there, qpopper treats it as a corrupt spool
because it doesn't see 'From'as the first word and the mail clients tend
to interpret that as password errors.
If I go in and manually restore the leading 'F', then these Outlook
users seem to be able to clear their boxes once - but subsequent mail
seems to have the leading F removed again.

The qpopper documentation mentions that procmail has been known to
corrupt mailspools, but as all my other accounts are working fine, I
don't really buy this.

My question is: anyone experienced this before, is it an Outlook thing
(my suspicion), and any tips on stopping it happening?
For example, can procmail be used to post-process mail after delivery to
$HOME/.mail to fix up the headers?

Help appreciated.

Peter Rose
London UK
"I don't like your fashion business mister"
  - Leonard Cohen / First We Take Manhattan