Re: Problem with undeliverable mail (bounces)

2002-04-25 10:11:31
At 02:30 2002-04-25 -0400, Shannon D. Denniston wrote:
The e-mails are bouncing to:
postmaster(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld
shannon(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld
httpd(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld
shannon(_at_)localhost

Uhm, how about you _remove_ the bad addresses from the list or script?

Some of the e-mails bounce to one of the addresses above
while others are being sent to two of the addresses.

Is it a procmail script? If if is, post it here, if not, well, it's a matter between you and whoever wrote the script.

I have a webscript that my servers execute when they detect a CodeRed or Nimda worm attack, which performs resolution on the attacking IP, the domain, netblock, etc, and collects the appropriate contact addresses for it, sending a notice with information about the attack (calibrated time, source IP, etc) and what to do to fix the affected machine. The stage before emailing the collected list of addresses sorts the list, removes obvious duplicates, and removed addresses from a "purge" list - addresses which bounced early on, or which someone would email back and say "the numnutz ISP still claims it's my netblock, but we left them a year ago".

If your script is invoking email processes for each address, it might be a bit more difficult to process it in an intelligent fashion.

How can I avoid receiving all of these bounces? I have tried creating a user with an e-mail alias of "postmaster" but it says that it is reserved.

Aliases are a function of your *MTA* (such as sendmail, postfix, exim, qmail, etc), not of procmail.

FTR, if whatever you're using to create a postmaster alias claims it is reserved, then you're probably not using sendmail, or you're using some webscript for configuring mail, rather than editing the aliases file directly. Perhaps the server you identify isn't _your_ server, but instead a server providing virtual hosting for multiple sites? That could definatley be a reason that you couldn't change the postmaster alias.

I wouldn't advise setting the postmaster alias to /dev/null anyway.

If I have the procmail deliver the e-mails to an account that is set to dev null it will still pass the e-mail back through my server and take away from the server's resources.

Which is a good reason to fix your source address list or tweak whatever script you're running so that it doesn't deliver to these addresses.

For this reason, I would just like to have the bounces bounce to outerspace and never be seen by anyone.

Mail servers expect to direct DSNs somewhere.