Problem with undeliverable mail (bounces)

2002-04-24 23:36:19
Hey Guys!

I am on a Cobalt RAQ4i.

Every night at 2:00am EST, I have a cron job that runs and
sends out e-mail to thousands of subscribers. When the
script runs, it generates hundreds of "Mail Delivery Subsystem"
related e-mails that bounce back to me.

The e-mails are bouncing to:
postmaster(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld
shannon(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld
httpd(_at_)domain(_dot_)tld
shannon(_at_)localhost

Some of the e-mails bounce to one of the addresses above
while others are being sent to two of the addresses. This
seems to be at random with no correlation.

How can I avoid receiving all of these bounces? I have tried
creating a user with an e-mail alias of "postmaster" but it
says that it is reserved. If I have the procmail deliver the
e-mails to an account that is set to dev null it will still pass
the e-mail back through my server and take away from the
server's resources. For this reason, I would just like to have
the bounces bounce to outerspace and never be seen by
anyone. What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Shannon D. Denniston