Re: several messages

2002-04-30 17:38:59
At the risk of alienating ever-so many people, I believe the whole concept
of extracting recipients from a header is per definition flawed; headers are
part of the DATA stream, and you cannot rely on any type of "To:" header to
contain the actual recipient(s).

The only truly reliable way to run procmail, is to invoke it as your LDA
from within your sendmail.cf (or other config file where you define your
mailers), so that recipients ($u) can be parsed as parameter to the LDA.

I have always been amazed at why procmail keeps supporting the .forward
schemes. The only thing you can know for sure when you invoke procmail from
a .forward file, is that the user who the .forward file belongs to, is one
of the recipients. That is all. Trying to extract other recipients from the
headers is inherently flawed, and doomed to be either inaccurate, or very
unreliable at best.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---