Re: .procmailrc dir permissions

2002-05-01 07:32:21
Justin followed up,

| Some of our users have been complaining that we've had to change
| permissions on their home dirs in our development environment, saying
| that the test is now invalid because it doesn't match production.  I
| wanted to be able to tell them with certainty why the perm changes were
| necessary, and had suspected that it was a security issue, but didn't
| want to say so without an authoritative answer on the subject.

I'm wondering if your setup gives every user a separate login group.  If
that's the case, procmail has a compile-time option called GROUP_PER_USER
that you can set.  If it's on, procmail will not treat writability by the
user's login group as a security problem.  Then you can recompile procmail
and your users can leave the permissions on their home directories alone.