Re: .procmailrc dir permissions

2002-05-01 13:58:35
At 08:09 2002-05-01 -0500, Justin Heimburger did say:
frustrated "...you idiot" tone.  I don't know you, so I can't say what

It was more of a frustrated "read the manpages" tone, coupled with a "security problems should be FIXED" accent.

Some of our users have been complaining that we've had to change
permissions on their home dirs in our development environment, saying
that the test is now invalid because it doesn't match production.

The esteemed Mr. Tamkin has already posted one such explanation as to why you may be having a problem with write permissions.

Procmail doesn't pay attention to insecure rcfiles because of the inherent security risk in doing do (who do you figure would be blamed if it did?). Having a group or world writeable rcfile - or such a file in a group or world writeable direcrory, is an obvious security settings problem (I trust /etc and /usr/sbin aren't group or world writeable?). Since most systems have groups which define "users" or "webusers", etc - large groups with many users, group writeability is by default considered a dangerous thing. If you're running a system where groups exist on a per-user basis (and if you are, you should be aware of it), then procmail needs to be told this at compile time - refer to the build instructions.