Lockfiles...

2002-05-01 13:24:26
Hi folks,

the following question may sound a little dumb, but unfortunately I have
not yet been able to find the right answer to it elsewhere, so I thought
I'd ask it here.

Ok, I have a procmail recipe that looks like this:

:0:
^ From(_dot_)*dertagsend(_at_)oscar(_dot_)spiegel(_dot_)ision(_dot_)net
{
        :0 c
        spiegel-mime

        :0
        /var/mail/nils
}

This recipe is supposed to be triggered upon receipt of a certain HTML/MIME
newsletter, which it will first save to a file and then also normally put
into my regular mailbox (what happens afterwards, which is basically
un-mime-ing the stuff using munpack is beyond the scope of this
question...)

Anyway, looking at my procmail logfile, I see this message every time the
above recipe (which, by the way, is working fine otherwise) is triggered:

"procmail: Extraneous locallockfile ignored"

I have the feeling that what this message is telling me is not really a
problem, but it would probably still go away when I'd start my recipe with
":0" instead of ":0:".

On another recipe, which I included below, I do not get a "locallockfile
warning" like with the first one above.

:0:
^ *TOcvs-all(_at_)freebsd(_dot_)org
Lists/FreeBSD/cvs-all

So, here's the question: What's the big deal with lockiles? When do I use
them (:0:) and when not (:0)? As I said, I guess this is a pretty easy
question, but reading through all kinds of procmail documents, I didn't
really find anything that helped me here - probably I failed to see the
obvious?

Comments are welcome.
Nils

--

Nils Holland <nils(_at_)daemon(_dot_)tisys(_dot_)org>
Ti Systems - http://www.tisys.org