Re: Filtering

2002-05-08 13:21:42
At 16:10 2002-05-07 -0700, Eric Bessette did say:
I want to use procmail to find all the messages from a specific email list,
save it in a different mail box, pipe it into hypermail, and not save it in
the inbox of this email address.  I'm thinking of something like the
following in my .forward file:

If you've read the documentation provided with procmail, you might note that recipes DO NOT go in the .forward file. .forward is only of import to procmail if it is being used as LDA (because it pays attention to the file), or if you're using it to invoke procmail because procmail isn't the LDA. In any case, recipes don't go there.

:0:
* ^TO_<email list>
<save in different mail box>
<pipe to hypermail>

Something like this might be appropriate in a properly secured .procmailrc file:

# Sender (or some other list-inserted header) is generally a much
# better indicator of list delivered messages)

:0
* ^Sender:.*emaillistaddr
{
        :0c
        someothermailbox

        :0
        | /path/to/hypermail and options
}

Before republishing other people's email messages (the listserve) on the web, you might consider checking with the list about it first - crappy webarchives cleartext the mailto addresses for the users on the list, and provide _yet_another_ place for spammers to cull addresses from, which is a BIG bummer for those users. If this is for a personal archive, consider having hypermail dump the messages into a directory which is protected by an .htaccess or some other authentication mechanism which will restrict access to authorized users (note: if you have a static IP for your client machine, that can be in there, so your own access to the resource involves no special actions on your part after the setup).

But I don't know how to prevent those specific messages from being saved in
the default inbox.

Once you successfully deliver a message, it has been delivered. To deliver it to multiple places, you must deliberatley COPY the message (using the 'c' flag, see above, and of course, 'man procmailrc').

You should check out 'man procmailex' for examples. See the "see also" section at the bottom of each of the procmail manpages - there are several manpages for procmail.

I doubt that any level of msn offers shell access, so if this is for use on that service, before comitting any further time to it, you should determine if procmail is evan available to you on the service you're using.

I'm very open to any suggestions regarding any of this.

Okay.  Read the docs.

However, I'm not subscribed to this list, so please email me personally.

If you want others to take their time to explain things to you, you should consider joining the forum in which they do it, even if only for the duration of your need to become acquainted with the program. You should also search the list archives (oh, for 'hypermail' perhaps...).