Re: recipes just not working

2002-05-14 11:30:40
Professional Software Engineering said:
At 16:20 2002-05-13 -0400, Curtis Maurand did say:

Duh, he said sheepishly.  It was in all the docs. That fixed it.
Thanks.

Next question.  Given the prereq's at the top of the file minus the
logging, is that a good start for a system wide procmailrc file?

No.

Good answer. :-)

SHELL=/bin/sh

Okay in an /etc/procmailrc, since some users might not have shell
logins.

MAILDIR=${HOME}/mail

Hmm, what if the user doesn't have a mail dir like this?  The script
should  check.  The accepted approach from an /etc/procmailrc, wouldn't
be to  deliver to a mailbox on the users's behalf, but either to add a
header  identifying a message as suspect spam, or, when you're positive
of spam or  virus conditions, to discard (or file where root can access
it), rather  than delivering it for the recipient.

Thanks, that's helpful.  Then the user can filter on what I add to the
header.

LOGFILE=${MAILDIR}/procmail.log

You're logging on behalf of the user.  What if they don't want this?

LOG="---Logging ${LOGFILE} for ${LOGNAME}
"
Yes, well I did preface the question by stating logging stuff not
withstanding.  I'm only logging while I debug things and i wouldn't presume
to drop a log in a user's directory.  After all, I might have to look at
it.:-)

Putting the logfile name INTO the logfile for each message, seems kind
of  useless.  In fact, putting the user's name into a USER-SPECIFIC
logfile  seems useless as well.

VERBOSE=yes

Suitable for debugging, but way uncool for high volume mail.  Esp if
the  poor sucker user gets stuffed with the disk quota.

again, I'll not be using this now that I have things working reasonably
well.

[snip]

As for the two junkmail rules you had, I'm afraid they're a bit
broad.  Nobody goes to Reno, Vegas, or Atlantic City?  Nobody possibly
deals with Proctor & Gamble?  You realize that "gambling" won't get
tagged  in the subject?

true enough.  I'm only working on some personal filters for now.  I've been
getting 8 to 10 messages per day from some gambling things.  You're right
in that I ought to just add the header and make it spam.  for me it works
for now.  I really should block mb00.net at /etc/mail/access.  :-)  But
since there's enough spam from there, they make a good test.  what I should
be filtering on is the from line where its always been gamblelover.com or
some such crap.

If you develop some complex rules covering a variety of spams, you
might  rather stuff a header into the messages, from which users can
easily filter  on within their email client or local .procmailrc.

If you check the archives, some time back I presented a method which
people  could use to have "configs" which an /etc/procmailrc could use
to run  per-user options in the global RC, allowing users to opt in and
out of  having you filter or ditch their email:

I like this idea.  Its do able from a web interface.  Thanks for your help.
You've given me some things to chew on for the next few weeks.

[snip]

Curtis