Re: Sendmail is not invoking Procmail

2002-05-22 02:18:45
At 02:15 2002-05-22 -0400, Humberto Rodriguez wrote:
Right now though, I am about to fall asleep, it is after 2
a.m here on the East Coast.

This is a problem why?

When I do the host -t MX usa-hosts.com here from the shell,
I get:

[root(_at_)dns1 logs]# host -t MX usa-hosts.com
usa-hosts.com. mail is handled by 10 64.131.176.121.usa-hosts.com.

Yea, now _resolve_ the identified host. Guess what? There's no record for it! oops.

mailer 9 (local): P=/usr/bin/procmail S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL

Good, that means it is indeed the LDA (and in determining it through running the sendmail binary, we know it's the _current_ config file as is read by sendmail).

Here is the content of resolv.conf:

nameserver 64.131.176.121
search usa-hosts.com
domain usa-hosts.com

Suggestion: you _really_ do want to add another nameserver or two in here after yours (even if your named config uses root hints), just so that if there's something wrong locally with yours, you can resolve with the outside world.

[snippety]
May 22 01:16:56 dns1 named[30336]: running

Named started ok.

May 22 01:17:15 dns1 sendmail: sendmail startup succeeded

Sendmail started ok.

May 22 01:17:33 dns1 gdm[30387]: gdm_config_parse: Can't
find the gdm user (gdm). Trying 'nobody'!
[snippety-ippety]

Uhm, as a vision impaired individual, I'd think you'd appreciate that the buttload of IDENTICAL gdm errors could be abbreviated to something like "I get about four related messages every 30 seconds", then omit the pile of them.

As for GDM, see the comp.os.linux.setup newsgroup. Looks like your RH install didn't create the necessary user for the gdm (Gnome Desktop Manager or somesuch, which is an optional X-windows component) install it performed. GDM Has even less to do with procmail than DNS configurations.

The time of the many outweighs the time of the few (or one). Or something like that (geez, and I'm not even a trekkie). Trim repeats and bulk from messages, since more than one person is going to read them.

I will continue at it tomorrow and, following your
suggestion, I will download 3.22 and will find out how to
install it.

You might poke around RH and see if they have an RPM for it. You'd think with security matters these days, they'd be maintaining a current collection of the packages they distribute.

I know that once one knows something, it seems easy.

Just wait until you know EVERYTHING.  I was 16 at the time...

You mentioned for instance, nslint and dlint, which I have
no idea what they are, or where to get them.

Good time to hit the web. They're both small scripts. searches of "nslint DNS" for instance should pull up references to the one. Same sort of process for the other.