Re: .forward and procmail

2002-05-23 11:39:14
Stephen Wilcoxon's incoming mail is bouncing with this error:

| User wilcoxon(_at_)foshay(_dot_)citilink(_dot_)com doesn't have a valid shell
for mailing to
programs

indicating that his login shell is not listed in /etc/shells.  He has asked,

| What needs to be done to fix this?  Thanks.

1. Change your login shell to one that is listed in /etc/shells;
2. Get your ISP to add the name of your login shell (by its full path) to
/etc/shells;
3. Give up on having procmail invoked on each message as it arrives and let
your mail fall into your spool file, where you can run procmail on it by cron
job (in the unlikely event that an ISP like yours allows users cron access) or
by a call in your .profile or .login when you log in; or
4. Take your business to a different ISP.

I recommend trying #2 first; if that fails but there's another shell available
there that suits you, try #1.  If neither pans out, go for #4.