Re: .forward and procmail

2002-05-23 12:19:17
On Thu, 23 May 2002, David W. Tamkin wrote:

Stephen Wilcoxon's incoming mail is bouncing with this error:

| User wilcoxon(_at_)foshay(_dot_)citilink(_dot_)com doesn't have a valid
shell for mailing to
programs

indicating that his login shell is not listed in /etc/shells.  He has asked,

| What needs to be done to fix this?  Thanks.

1. Change your login shell to one that is listed in /etc/shells;
2. Get your ISP to add the name of your login shell (by its full path) to
/etc/shells;

        It is posible that the login shell on the mail server is smrsh(8)
        i.e. not the same as login shell on the machine where the user do
        login.  In this case the ISP must check the smrsh configuration.

        From the smarsh man page (Linux rh7.2):
System administrators should be conservative about populating the /etc/smrsh
directory.  Reasonable additions are vacation(1), procmail(1), and the like.
No matter how brow-beaten you may be, never include any shell or shell-like
program (such as perl(1)) in the /etc/smrsh directory.  Note that this does
not restrict the use of shell or perl scripts in the /etc/smrsh directory
(using the ``#!'' syn tax); it simply disallows execution of arbitrary programs.

        If we are talking about Linux, I think you do not need the .forward
        file, isn't?

Bye,
 Udi