Re: Error while writing to "/dev/null"

2002-07-17 00:09:06
Bryan,

Forgive me if I talk rubbish here, I really don't know how Sendmail
works. But reading your story, I suspect that somehow your
"/dev/null" got damaged/removed/overwritten. Try "ls -l /dev/null"
and see what it says, it should say something like

crw-rw-rw-    1 root     root       1,   3 Apr 11 16:25 /dev/null

Mind the "c" at the beginning of the line and the "1, 3" instead of a
filesize. If it says something like

drw-rw-rw-    1 root     root    4096 May 21  14:43   /dev/null

then you've got a problem. You should use "mknod" then. If you use
Linux, you should do "mknod -m 666 /dev/null c 1 3" (as root of
course).

But again, maybe I'm talking nonsense here and the problem isn't
related to the OS but to Sendmail. In that case, I'm afraid you'll
need someone else's help :)

Regards,

Hans