Re: bad clams?

2002-07-29 16:41:34
On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

No surprise - the regexp of "z*" is zero or more z characters - not "z and
whatever character".  Unless invoked with options to change its behaviour,
grep only emits lines which MATCH.  Guess what?  That means the regexp
isn't finding a match in the provided string.

NUTS!  I just went through that scenario.  Guess I'm a slow learner.
(Actually, I suspect it's a hangover from the DOS days where * meant
"anything" and had nothing to do with the previous character.)

[kernsip - please refrain from sending the whole previous message back to
the list.]

Sorry 'bout that.  I *do* get wordy.

                                - fleet -