RE: html tags "remover"?

2002-08-29 10:11:02
I would like to use procmail to perform a number of mail tasks, including
anti-spam.

I don't directly see how stripping HTML has much of a bearing on spam
filtering, except that it makes matching text strings a bit easier on the
generic level.

You're right; stripping HTML is not a spam issue per se. However, I find
that most spam is done in HTML format (except the Nigerian scams, as a
class). I'm concerned about the privacy issues with active HTML mail in
general.

Given that no-one has created the perfect spam filter, and that some of my
business associates insist on sending critical e-mail in HTML format, I need
to have the filter err on the side of minimal false positives. This means
that spam is going to get through. I'd like the stuff that gets through to
be rendered innocuous by stripping the HTML, so that I don't keep validating
my e-mail address or my IP by simply viewing an HTML document with a web bug
in it.

This wouldn't be an issue if I used a pure text mail viewer, but I'm using
Outlook (not really a choice), so I'm going to run my mail through a linux
box first to clean it up...

Thanks for the rest of the info; that's what I was looking for!

Regards,
Michael