Re: Using Procmail to find OLD Messages?

2002-09-30 14:07:36
On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, LuKreme wrote:

L> I would like to use procmail (manually) to scan my exisiting mailboxes
L> and archive old posts to a backup location outside of my mail folders.
L>
L> Rather than starting from scratch, I figured this is something that
L> other people have covered already.

I more or less do this every night with crontab, a shell script and a
procmailrc.  I deliver the old mail to /dev/null but, looking at it, you
would just have to change the last line from /dev/null to something like
${DEFAULT}/oldstuff

This is a generic solution in that the mailbox is specified on the command
line together with the number of days:

# run at 04:15 each day
15 4 * * *      $HOME/.procmail/admin.anybox IN.zzzz.spam 7

# run at 04:17 each day
17 4 * * *      $HOME/.procmail/admin.anybox IN.zzzz.viruses 7

Should I post it all here?  Or email me at:

  tuna @ purse-seine . net

which will bypass the password autoresponder (unless you are reading an
archive and it is no longer 2002).

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email is welcome but may invoke a password autoresponder. )