Re: deb-user filter recipe

2002-10-14 11:02:56
At 02:59 2002-10-14 -0500, Stephan Sauerburger did say:

"Subject: uNSUBSCRIBE me from this horrible list of users of a wacky
homemade sys5-style distro so I can join the slackware list!".

Slackware users wouldn't post something like that.  RedHat users would though.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 01:44:08AM -0500, Nick Traxler spanked upon the buttocks of Barbie in Morse Code:

<g>

Here's what I've got so far:

#deb-user
:0
* ^X-Mailing-List:.*debian-user
        * ^Subject: unsubscribe
        /dev/null

        :0:
        debian-user
}

That all looks just fine, and if that's a first crack, congratulations - that's pretty much EXACTLY as you'd write it, excepting, as per Stephan's suggestion, you probably want to expand your unsub regexp. For instance:

* ^Subject:.*(un[- ]?subscribe|remove me)

which would catch several variations on the theme.

Please don't 'dude, RTFM' me.

Your post clearly shows that you've made some attempt at doing your own legwork, and though you HAVE missed something in 'man procmailrc', where it says that procmail regexps are case INSENSITIVE unless you specify the 'D' flag, you're obviously not some lazy bum who has found a tool capable of doing what you need and expect other people to write your complete recipes from start to finish for you.

RTFM remains a good practice however. Don't forget that you can _search_ within a manpage - use the standard slash escape and type your search term:

        /(upper|lower|case|sensitiv)

I've not really found a good starting point for procmail questions.

Nancy's procmail quickstart. Head to <http://www.procmail.org>, and you'll find it linked from there.

You might want to check out the resources I link from my disclaimer page, including the _sandbox_ testing methodology, which takes your recipes and tests them on something other than your LIVE mailspool -- all you do is take a few saved messages and edit their subject lines (or whatever) to match or not quite match your conditions, then throw them at the sandbox and check the verbose logs and the output.