Re: More "missing first F" problems

2002-10-27 10:10:38
On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Udi Mottelo wrote:

      I had some noveles where the "r" is missing too.  I suggest:

:0hf
* ! ^^From( )
| sed '1s/^r*om/From/'

Actually what happens is that one character gets lopped off each time a
filter trips the bug.  So depending on how many filters you have, it's
possible that you could lose the entire From_ line, or even parts of the
headers that follow; and on systems where the MTA does not insert a From_,
you're likely to have an "eturn-Path:" header, etc.

It's just that most people don't have that many filters, and the only time
the bug gets noticed is when it lops part of the From_.

So really the put-the-F-back workaround has to be performed after *every*
filter; you can't do it just once at the end and expect it to work for an
arbitrary number of filters.

Yes, this is annoying, and I wish someone who's experiencing the problem
(I'm not) were able to attack this with a debugger and find out where it
happens ... or at least generate a verbose logfile that shows it.