Re: Pong messages from tom

2002-11-20 18:26:36
At 6:00 PM -0500 11/20/02, Don Hammond is rumored to have typed:

Or maybe something at your end is stopping them from getting to you. Is
charlie(_at_)lofcom(_dot_)com a deliverable address?

   Well, yeah...I wouldn't post to a mailing list with a bad return address.
I realize you do (and am respecting that by not including your "real" reply
address in an open header field), but I refuse.

   It's safe to assume that something is either blocking them, or they are
not being sent in the first place. There are no connections (blocked or
accepted) I can find in the sendmail logs today from a dynamic rr.com machine
(his posts to the list both originated from dhcp024-208-240-134.twmi.rr.com
[24.208.240.134]), therefore I'm thinking he isn't sending them. 'Course,
could be a hundred different causes...maybe his upstream DNS is slow to
report my MX, maybe he drops my mail to /dev/null before the autoresponder
triggers, maybe he switched machines and is now sending them from a blocked
sunbelt-software.com machine, maybe he's just picking on you and LuKreme,
since those are the only currently-confirmed addresses to trigger 'em. Who
knows - you'd have to ask him.

   (I know this little stunt is valid reason to add a few ugly procmail
filters, but since I'm curious I'm waiting to see how it plays out.)

Here's my guess.  Tom is using some autoresponder to verify that
sender's addresses are deliverable.

   He's certainly using an autoresponder, complete with X-Loop: header field;
for what purpose, only he knows. It's also possible it's supposed to return
something intelligable, and he screwed up.

List mail should NEVER trigger an autoresponder.

   We are certainly in agreement here.

If I
were really evil I'd set Reply-To: opt-in(_at_)oin81(_dot_)com, but I'm not.

   Hum. I am. But I'll refrain.

         Charlie