Re: Procmail's Logfile limit on "folder" names

2002-11-22 17:59:52
On 22 Nov, Matthew Hendryx wrote:
| On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 16:21, Scott Wiersdorf wrote:
| > On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 11:28:39AM +0000, Matthew Hendryx wrote:
| > > When procmail is writing to it's log file there seems to be a limit on
| > > the length of a "folder" name it will write (or it just might be a limit
| > > on the length of a line it will write to the log file.
| > You could put your program in a shell script:
| >     #!/bin/sh
| >     exec "/usr/bin/local/program -options -more_options -etc"
| > and invoke that instead:
| Yeah... the only problem is that the options change depending on the
| critera met so I would still have to pass the options over. The main
| reason I want the limit more in some form is in fact so I can check that
| the right options *ARE* being passed on certain ones!

You can log it yourself.  That won't change the Folder: line created
from LOGABSTRACT, but the info will still be there.  If it MUST be in
the Folder: line, say because you use mailstat, then turn off
LOGABSTRACT and create your own using TRAP. You will find examples of
that in the list archive. Otherwise, if all you need is to see it in
the log:

  NL="
  "
  :0
  * some condition(s)
  { LOG = "Doing: some_prog --this-option=this_arg --that=another$NL" }
  :0A
  | some_prog --this-option=this_arg --that=another

Yes, it's a little more cluttered, but it'll work. My rcfiles are
littered with conditions that test $VERBOSE, $SEMIVERBOSE, and
$DBGVERBOSE, and do log writes accordingly. It allows me to turn them
on|off as needed, with verbosity of my own choosing to chase down
problems.

--
Reply to list please, or append "8" to "procmail" in address if you must.
Spammers' unrelenting address harvesting forces me to this...reluctantly.