Re: kook blocker (message-id chain filter)

2002-12-05 07:37:07
2002-12-05-05:47:16 Paul Chvostek:
All this sounds good, but when did procmail get an fgrep?

It didn't. Fgrep offers functionality different from procmail's
regexp matcher; it is designed to efficiently match against any one
of a large number of different fixed strings. So call out to the
external fgrep from procmail to do this check.

I'd say this, like many other groovy procmail whizzo tricks, would
be the sort of thing that's fun and fine on a personal mail server
(or a personal workstation that's using fetchmail to feed local
procmail processing). I wouldn't be so keen on doing it on a big
multi-user server where the difference between 20 msgs/sec delivery
and 2 secs/msg delivery is really urgent.

If I wanted to offer this kind of thing on a high-performance basis,
I suspect I'd do it in Lua, since I'm too lazy to try and get
security-critical string processing of untrusted source text
absolutely perfect in C, and Lua's the next best thing I know of
speed-wise.

-Bennett