Re: kook blocker (message-id chain filter)

2002-12-02 09:47:27
At 06:58 2002-12-02 -0500, Paul Chvostek did say:
It's really a very simple filter, though it's potentially high load if
you're not careful about what you're checking.  The biggest problem I
see is that I can't seem to think of a way to expire old items from the
message-id cache.

Formail doesn't have a _date_ based cache, but it does have a size based one. Adjust the size to approximate your troll volume, and you should be good to go. Or write up a perl helper utility that utilizes a simple db.

I've never tried to read the formail messageid cache (since you want to match it against an in-reply-to: or references: line), but it shouldn't be too difficult.

(BTW, wouldn't this more appropriateley be termed a trollfest blocker, in that the original message is a kook/troll, but all the subsequent _replies_ to it are in effect, replies to the troll? Kooks don't inherently reply to their own posts.)