Re: Spamassassin or double message check first

2002-12-11 09:10:56
Oliver asked,

| Both are recommended to be set at top of my .procmailrc. Is there
| any rank to be considered or does it not matter which of both to be
| run first?

Bart has advised,

... the duplicate check is a lot faster and less resource-
intensive than spamassassin, even if you're using spamc/spamd, so you
should do it first.

My view is very different from Bart's.  I say it depends on what you want,
Oliver.  That box is a machine and you're a human being: who's serving whom?

If you receive a piece of mail that Spamassassin will label as spam, but it
has a Message-Id that is already in your cache, do you want it in your
"duplicates" folder or your "caughtspam" folder?  That's the chief criterion.
If you truly have no preference, then Bart's recommendation is an excellent
tie-breaker, but that's only if there's a tie to break.