Re: Spamassassin or double message check first (solved)

2002-12-13 10:30:14
At 05:36 2002-12-13 +0100, Oliver Fuchs did say:
What I noticed was that a few times it is recommended a recipe to
be placed at top of the .procmailrc file:

[big snip - yup, lotsa stuff we can get by typing 'man procmailex']

I know that I do not have to quote the man procmailex here but I
only wanted to show that it is mentioned very often in the examples
that a special recipe should be placed on top.

That isn't telling you that you need to do any of those things -- merely that for the type of things you want to occur before anything else (backups, dupe checking, spam filtering) they should reasonably occur before you start filtering for individual things (like sorting for mailing lists or vacation messages, etc). It makes sense that if you're going to make backups that you do that before anything else (except for variable definitions of course), and dupe checking after that (no need to subject all your other recipes to dealing with duplicates), THEN anything else you want to subject every incoming message to.

First one is 2 (correct the header) and 3 (eliminating of duplicates).
If I would have to place a backup-recipe the rank for me would be:
1 (because 2 could fail), 2, 3 followed by the spamassassin recipe.

Fine, so you seem to have the idea.

IMO, if you thoroughly test your recipes in a sandbox, there's no need to run a backup recipe (except perhaps to collect a central mailbox worth of messages which you can throw at the sandbox recipes).

BTW how long is the duplicate cache kept?

See 'man formail' -- the messageid cache is defined by *SIZE*, so when that size limit is reached, old items will be dropped from the cache. The duration depends on how large of a cache you specify, how large the messageids are on messages which you receive, and how many messages you receive over a given period.

If you use the 8192 size (8KB) that the typical example provides, and your messages have an average messageid length of 48 bytes (the contents of the Message-ID field, not inclusive of the field name - I got this number by examining a messageid cache on my system), then the cache should last about 8192/(48+1) = ~167 unique messages (the +1 is for the field separator). You should be able to expect that most duplicates should arrive within close proximity of one another (for instance, a day lag would be rather excessive), so even if you receive hundreds of emails in a day, the cache size doesn't need to be able to accomodate every one simultaniously.

I highly recommend that you consider setting up a sandbox (as described in links from my disclaimer), so that you can experiment with things to see firsthand how they work.