Re: Stop forwarding big files! Help needed

2002-12-12 11:43:06
At 14:06 2002-12-12 +0100, Radu Popa wrote:
And now the really dumb question: er...... How do I tell sendmail to pass
the message to procmail?
Just by creating the .procmailrc in the respective home directory?

Yes, create a local account for the address and let the messages deliver to the local account (with an appropriate .procmailrc in it).

OR:  set up an alias which invokes a .procmailrc directly:

someaddress "|/usr/bin/procmail -m /etc/procmailrcs/forwarder.rc someaddress(_at_)otherdomain(_dot_)tld"

(all one line)

Then, create a forwarder.rc file in /etc/procmailrcs and put your forwarding rules in there. The address to forward to will be in the $1 variable in procmail, so you can use that same rc file for multiple aliases. You could also provide the maximum message size as a parameter after that (which shows as $2), or you could have a condition block within the rcfile which defines size limits for individual accounts.

You should consider where you'll store the messages which cannot be forwarded because they are too large.