Re: Autoresponse based on email address

2003-01-03 22:35:12
On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 02:49:25AM +0000, Alan Clifford wrote:
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, David W. Tamkin wrote:

DWT> Ashley Kirchner is using this code recommended by Scott Wiersdorf,

DWT> | >          cat /path/to/message) | $SENDMAIL -t

At this point I should like to point out that if you receive an email from
a robot, my experience is that it will have not X-loop mechanism of its
own, and it will throw away your X-loop when it autoreplies to your
autoreply.  Your autoreply will need another mechanism to catch this mail
loop.

I suggest you use the -f feature of sendmail to reply from
AUTOREPLY_DAEMON(_at_)pcraft(_dot_)com or similar so you can easily pick up
autoreplies to your autoreplies.  In addition, I keep a list for a short
time (until 4am) of addresses that my daemon has responded to so that it
will not respond to the same address again in a loop.

This is an excellent point. Perhaps Ashley could implement the fancier
autoreply/vacation recipe found immediately after this (above) basic
one I recommended in the procmailex manpage. It makes use of formail's
cache option (-D) along with the autoreply option (-r) to accomplish
roughly the same thing (and lets you keep your email address instead
of AUTOREPLY_DAEMON, though Alan's solution is much simpler to
implement with equal effectiveness).

Ashley may also wish to consult Nancy McGough's excellent quick start
(though it's really too big to be quick anymore):

    <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>

It covers a lot of ground (that has already been covered before, such
as this).

Scott
--
Scott Wiersdorf