Re: Backup of messages ... Now what?

2003-01-10 07:50:21
I have procmail making backup copies of e-mail which it is placing in a
directory.  Each mail becomes a file with a name of msg.xxxx   which is
good as the e-mail is there!

Now that I have a backup of them, how do I make use of the backups?
What can I do with these files?

Is there a program I can use that will let me parse the files, find
certain ones and reinject them back into postfix?  Or then deliver them
to a mailbox?

I know next to nothing about postfix.  But there are plenty of ways to
deliver them to a mailbox.  Here's one way to do it with procmail, since
this is the procmail list:

  procmail -m DEFAULT=/home/marty/mymailbox /dev/null <msg.0001

That uses /dev/null as an rc file (i.e. the rcfile is empty) and sets
DEFAULT to the path to the mailbox to which you want to deliver the
mail.

I presume that there's a reason why you'd want to do that rather than
use 'cp' or just read them directly with your mail client.

Hope that helps,
Martin
--
Martin McCarthy                 /</    http://procmail.non-prophet.org