Re: Backup of messages ... Now what?

2003-01-12 17:07:36
Martin McCarthy wrote:

I have procmail making backup copies of e-mail which it is placing in a directory. Each mail becomes a file with a name of msg.xxxx which is good as the e-mail is there!

Now that I have a backup of them, how do I make use of the backups? What can I do with these files?

Is there a program I can use that will let me parse the files, find certain ones and reinject them back into postfix? Or then deliver them to a mailbox?

I know next to nothing about postfix.  But there are plenty of ways to
deliver them to a mailbox.  Here's one way to do it with procmail, since
this is the procmail list:

 procmail -m DEFAULT=/home/marty/mymailbox /dev/null <msg.0001

That uses /dev/null as an rc file (i.e. the rcfile is empty) and sets
DEFAULT to the path to the mailbox to which you want to deliver the
mail.

I presume that there's a reason why you'd want to do that rather than
use 'cp' or just read them directly with your mail client.

Hope that helps,
Martin
Well the thing is this is on a mail gateway, and these are backups just in the event I need to resend any of those messages.