Re: strlen() in procmail

2003-01-15 17:27:24
On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, David W. Tamkin wrote:

| > | Empirically, the entire parenthesized expression is
| > | matched minimally before considering the \/ subexpression.

Bart, I read yours as "procmail will pick the smallest match" [...]
while I was saying that procmail will pick the earliest match [...]
So as far as I could tell, we were saying different things.

Not that it matters at this point, but by "minimally" I meant "such that
the prefix of the search space required to find a match [for any of the
alternatives] is the shortest such prefix."  I could have said "non-
greedily" but I was trying to avoid "greed" for some reason.