Re: New User: Locking file issue and other bits [Part 2]

2003-02-05 14:32:20
On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 07:30, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
At 03:41 2003-02-05 -0700, LuKreme wrote:

:0
* ^Subject:.*Redhat
! roland

Note that my suggestion to run the fetchmail delivery through an aliased
user (which invokes procmail directly) circumvents issues with
/etc/procmailrc generic filtering (where it appears all these filters are
getting stuffed), since when you forward to a local user, it doesn't route
back through the "onepop.rc" script - it gets delivered through local
filtering.  If you simply put a recipe like the above into /etc/procmailrc,
it'll loop.  Seems that Roland is already aware of that, but I don't think
his kreminess is recognizing that at the moment.

Yep, tried this again - just in case, but you guessed it a mail loop.

Thus, the onepop.rc script needs only to focus on trying to split up
delivery among the multiple users of the one pop mailbox - *NOT* to
actually perform individual mailbox filtering (unless of course, filtering
on subjects is how some messages are being identified as being for a
certain recipient, which is unfortunate if so).

So, even though I now have a global procmailrc that has root privileges,
I won't be able to deliver to a users mail spool (as seems to have been
demonstrated in my last message)? Sorry if you end up repeating your
self.

If that is the case then obviously I will implement the onepop.rc
script.

I do wonder how the individual users are configured to send replies (out of
the system) such that replies to those messages will properly return to them.

All outgoing mail goes through a sender_canonical rewrite in postfix to
an address that my ISP recognizes. Coming in I have to catch it with a
filter. The reason why it is manageable at the moment is the bulk of the
mail goes to my wife and I have it set up that all mail goes to her
unless picked up by a filter (won't bore you with how I do it, and I'm
going to modify it and use the DEFAULT= setting once things settle
down).

I know what I am doing is awkward, to say the least, but it is far
better than what I had using out of the box winders OS. One of the great
things about Linux .............but I've got LOTS to learn.

Thanks again for the replies.

Roland Hill