Re: Plussed addresses & procmailrcs problem

2003-02-07 12:21:06
On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 04:44, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

I know it may sound like a stupid question, but did you actually
uns*bscribe and then res*bscribe to this list?

Good question, but I did.

Unless something has changed recently, the procmail list has an annoying
configuration: it allows posts from nonsubscribers (which is why I continue
to filter the procmail list through spam filters before allowing it into my
inbox, whereas many other lists are filtered before spam checks).  Thus,
it's possible to post from a plussed address which isn't subscribed to the
list, but receive your post from the list at a non-plussed address which is
subscribed.

Even managed to send a non-subscribed post myself during the change to
plussed addresses

Because the test message which I sent to you originally was _BCC'd_ to you,
if you saw plussing in the message headers, it should be indicative that
your mail host actually stores plussed information during processing.  The
messages delivered by a mailing list aren't really any different - they're
delivered as BCC'd messages.

Will look into this further in case by filter isn't picking up BCC'd
messages. I know I can pick up plussed email - had a friend send me one
as a check.

Hmm, I don't recall doing so.  List messages travel from the senders mail
host to the list mail host, and from there to the subscribers' mailhosts,
whereas a b/cc travels from the senders mail host directly to your mail
host.  Nothing unusual about that, nor "different" about the routing in
that this is how it always works - obviously the two routes are different.

Sorry, I probably misunderstood something in a previous post.

Feb 7 22:48:16 rrl03 procmail[3941]: Denying special privileges for
"/etc/procmailrcs/onepop.rc"

'man procmail'  search for 'deny'.

mmmmm...didn't read that man page.....ooops.

Hmm, who owns /etc/procmailrcs on your system anyway?  I suspect you had to
create the dir yourself, and if so, even it might not have the right
perms.  I don't put forth the following as the "one true way", but it's
what is on my systems and has run for years:

$ ls -ald /etc/procmailrcs
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     root         4096 Feb  4 17:54 /etc/procmailrcs/

Okay, I'm embarrassed, I've got a typo in my /etc/procmailrcs dir
........too many late nights...........aaarrrrh!

Thanks again Sean for your patience, guess I need to check for the
obvious a bit more.

Regards,

Roland Hill