Re: extraneous deliver head

2003-02-09 13:12:11
At 12:40 2003-02-09 -0500, David Turley wrote:
I'm not solving the problem here. Formail writes the header, the log is
written, the mail is delivered  to the correct mailbox, but that error msg is
there.

[snippety-do-dah]

I'm betting this isn't the ONLY recipe in your procmailrc, nor is it likely the FIRST recipe there. I'll also bet that you haven't taken the time to use:

        VERBOSE=YES

to enable verbose logging, which 99% of the time will make the cause of a problem self-evident.

Hint: I'm suggesting that you consider taking the time to do this, and make it part of your standard diagnostic process whenever something goes sideways on you.

procmail: Extraneous deliver-head flag ignored

From 'man procmail', which hopefully you have on your system:

       Extraneous x ignored   The  action  line  or  other  flags on this
                              recipe makes flag x meaningless.

You should also consider running your recipe within a sandbox (see my .sig).

Also, please report the _VERSION_OF_PROCMAIL_ which you are running. Curiously, this error you're reporting doesn't present itself on 3.15.2 or 3.22, which are the two "current" versions (depending upon whether you're bleeding edge or not). If you're running anything older than these, you should upgrade your procmailrc, THEN report the results.

BTW, the following would be MUCH more streamlined (note that $MATCH is immediatley available to other condition lines at the same nesting level), and the logging/header insertion presents itself well for cloning it as a template, since you set the rule text ONCE, instead of twice:

:0
* ^Subject:\/.*
* MATCH ?? 10^1 [^0-9a-z: ]
* MATCH ?? -1^1 [0-9a-z: ]
{
        SPAMRULE="SPAM-RULE: too much cruft in subject"
        LOG="${SPAMRULE}${NL}"

        :0fhw
        | $FORMAIL -A "X-${SPAMRULE}"

        :0:
        $SPAM
}

Technically, the last two can be rolled together, which makes it:

:0
* MATCH ?? 10^1 [^0-9a-z: ]
* MATCH ?? -1^1 [0-9a-z: ]
{
        SPAMRULE="SPAM-RULE: too much cruft in subject"
        LOG="${SPAMRULE}${NL}"

        :0:
        | $FORMAIL -A "X-${SPAMRULE}" >> $SPAM
}

If you test your recipes before putting them into production use, there's no reason to expect formail to fail on the above invocation unless for a system resource issue on the machine, and that'll be causing you other grief anyway. Further, this later rewrite eliminates all of the flags you were using with the filter process, and would probably even alleviate the problem you're having.