Re: flaky recipe -- too bad it's not for pastries

2003-02-16 02:29:43
Jeff Orrok <jeff(_at_)rt(_dot_)com> claimed:

Since you are using the -r option, I want to make sure you saw these
bits from the man pages:

       -r   Generate an auto-reply header.   This  will  normally
            throw  away  all the existing fields (except X-Loop:)
            in the original message, fields you wish to  preserve
            need  to  be  named  using the -i option.  If you use
            this option in conjunction with -k, you  can  prevent
            the  body from being `escaped' by also specifying -b.

I did see this bit.  What I didn't see was a simple sentence declaring
that -x/X-ing fields will nullify -i/I/a/A'ed fields that aren't also
-x/X'ed.  The universe is much closer to heat death than it need be due
to that missing sentence.

WARNINGS
       You can save yourself and others a lot of grief if you try
       to avoid using this  autoreply  feature  on  mails  coming
       through  mailinglists.  Depending on the format of the in­
       coming mail (which in turn depends on  both  the  original
       sender's  mail  agent  and  the mailinglist setup) formail
       could decide to generate an autoreply header that  replies
       to the list.

Why did you include this part?  Have I been bouncing digests or posts
back to the list?  Or are you still unhappy about having to deal with my
autoresponder because you CC'ed me?  As I said before, once my
autoresponder stops barfing into my .maillog, I'll contemplate a recipe
that deals with CC's to me and mailing lists.  If you have a proposal,
please share it.

Moreover, the examples given are more verbose than many Unix man
pages I've seen.  I'll grant that some experimentation is in order.

Yes, many man pages are remiss when it comes to examples, but most of
formail's examples resemble "Click Submit to submit your form".

It's a rare Unix program where that isn't the case, though, eh?

Indeed!

Jeff