Re: Wierd formatting

2003-02-25 18:49:19
At 17:06 2003-02-25 -0800, Paul Tram wrote:
Situation:
I am on a mailing from which I receive fairly regular posts.  Recently, I
have noticed when I download the email to my Outlook program the
formatting gets screwed up, whereas before everything was fine.

Solution:
Don't use OutBreak.

1) Noone else I know seems to be having this problem as most of the only
view messages from this mailing list via shell accounts.

Perhaps you could try this route. Certainly check your messages from a shell and examine them BEFORE OutBreak hoses them. It is a known fact that OutBreak _alters_ messages in the process of rendering them (the "From:" address you see for example). Perhaps this list you're on has some characteristic which OutBreak chokes on?

3) I haven't made any settings changes to Outlook.

Perhaps your ISP has made MTA configuration changes.  Have you inquired?

Have you examined the message headers of the messages in question?

Have you inquired on an MS OutBreak support forum? Say, by describing _how_ the messages are oddly formatted?

Most importantly, if I view the email on my shell account before hand
(using PINE) then when I download the email, the formatting is fine.

Well, does PINE alter the message? It must be changing something. Clone the messages with procmail to two extra mailboxes:

:0c
backup.mbx

:0c
backup2.mbx

Then view the messages in backup.mbx with PINE, exit PINE, and compare the two mailboxes for differences (meanwhile, your regular mailspool is unaffected).

Is there some way I can get procmail to deal with this?

You'd have to know what is different between the messages before and the messages now. Once you isolate that, report what needs to be transformed, and we can see what we can do for you. If it it indeed some sort of transformation of the message, then yea, it should be doable in procmail.

You need to isolate the _problem_ in order to arrive at a solution.