Re: Wierd formatting

2003-02-25 19:36:01
At 18:03 2003-02-25 -0800, Paul Tram did say:
> You need to isolate the _problem_ in order to arrive at a solution.

It looks like all the linebreaks are disappearing...

Please _confirm_ that at your end, with the source files. That's the point of suggesting that you make _two_ backup mailboxes and open _one_ of them in PINE and then _compare_ the two boxes. Determine _exactly_ what is different, and then you can go about writing something to transform the messages. Without that step - and confirming for sure what is different, anything we do here is a waste of time.

Keep in mind that DOS (and Windows) use a different linebreak format than unix, which in turn uses a different linebreak format than Macintosh. While email is supposed to be standardized, there are plenty of non-compliant MTAs out there, as well as MUAs. OutBreak may be choking on that in some fashion.

If I took a wild _guess_ (which is all I can do, because anything you forward to the list has, in some way, been altered by your MUA), I might figure that the list in question is being sent out with MAC linebreaks, and PINE may be seeing those and quietly fixing them, whereas OutBreak might perfer to choke rather than try to cope with them.