Re: bouncing to a bunch of people . . .

2003-03-15 12:18:26
At 13:16 2003-03-15 -0500, Louis LeBlanc wrote:
Hey all.  I have a semantics question regarding a small bounce list.

I have an address set up on my server that will (hopefully) bounce
messages to a list of about 5 or 6 other addresses.

Bounce or forward. They're very different things. Bouncing generally implies a DSN.

This address is aliased to my address with a '+listname' extension, so
that the message will come thru my own ~/.procmailrc file.

If you're using sendmail, you could just use a file include in the aliases definitions. See the sendmail documentation.

:0
* FOLDER ?? ^^listname^^

Presumably, this variable gets set someplace?

{
  :0c
  ! address1(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
  :0c
  ! address2(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
  :0c
  ! address3(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
  :0c
  ! address4(_at_)earthlink(_dot_)net
  :0c
  ! address5(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk

That certainly is painful.

:0
! address1(_at_)place address2(_at_)place addre...

(add a 'c' if you need an extra copy for yourself)

Have you tried to run the recipe in a sandbox (which, if properly set up, would keep all your friends from getting hammered with test messages while you experiment and sort this out).

The last line is intended to clear the FOLDER variable to ensure the
original message gets put into my own mailbox.  This part at least
works.

Then you should separate it from the line preceeding it, and perhaps prefix it with a comment saying as much. Otherwise, it resembles a botched attempt to do something else.

The question is what will procmail do if I try to define these
addresses in a basic 'Nickname1 <address1(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>' format?

The addresses are being passed to sendmail.  Check the sendmail docs.

(free clue: the addresses are used for the ENVELOPE, which doesn't convey comments, and therefore, trying to provide them would be meaningless - the forward mechanism doesn't rewrite the To: header.)

And can I simply put all these addresses on the same bounce line as

It isn't a BOUNCE.  It's a FORWARD or REDIRECT.

As an alternative to listing them out in your rcfile, you can put the addresses in a file and use:

:0
! `cat someaddresslist`

which allows you to manage the addresses outside of your rcfile (to a limit).

Basically, procmail is invoiking $SENDMAIL when you use the '!' operator, so whatever you pass it needs to pass muster with the syntax of sendmail (or whatever program you've (re)defined $SENDMAIL to be).